Saturday, August 20, 2016

CLASS REUNION

It seemed like I had a stretch of time where guys whom I had connected with online but nothing came of it were all of a sudden coming out the woodworks again.  This is the story of the Little mans class reunion.
Little man, who I did not know was short, contacted me on Match.com and asked to meet me for a drink and appetizers.  I thought about it and we started texting each other over a week period.  We spoke on the phone also which seems to be a dead art in the world of dating!
I knew that he worked as a Regional Manager at Sleepys, had never been married, had no kids and lived in the same town as my mom.  I had concerns about men who have never been married and are in their 40s and beyond.  I think it speaks of commitment issues or really bad character flaws.  But I thought to myself he seems like a good Jewish guy so I agreed that we could go out that Saturday.  I left the venue up to him and he quickly told me that a friend from High School would be playing in a band at Porta in Asbury Park.  I thought that would be awesome to listen and dance to a band so we set our time to meet.
The day of the date, my instinct told me not to go so I text him and told him that my stomach was bothering me plus my daughter needed to be picked up from work at 10 pm that evening.  He immediately called me and sounded like a cross between pissed and disappointed. I felt back so I told him I will try to make arrangements to have my daughter picked up by her sister.  About 10 minutes after talking to him I text him to say that I can meet him at the designated time.
Two things that stood out in my conversations with him was the fact that he lived and has always lived in an apartment and he believes that people are quick to give up on a relationship hence he is wary to be in a relationship anymore.  Those two facts seemed offsetting to me and were the reasons why I didn't want to go on the date with him  I felt that he isn't on the same page as I am.
But.....I go to Porta to meet him and I see him and he is short.  I mean S-H-O-R-T ! He looked like someone that you would never pair me with! It brought to mind his comment on the phone that I shouldn't wear heels since I want to be comfortable when dancing.  My response at the time was to tell him that I am an expert at wearing heels and that dancing in heels is not an issue for me.  Now I realize that he didn't want me to wear my heels because he literally came up to my chin in my Tory Burch wedges!  He commented, "Oh you wore your heels" and I responded "Of course! I always do!"  As we walked through the crowded he started running into an inordinate amount of people from his High School! I asked him if it was a Class reunion and he responded no.
Our date ended and I knew that I would never see or speak to this little man again.  He had used me! He brought me to his informal class reunion to make himself look good.  The guys were asking if I am his girlfriend and one guy even gave him a high five!  I felt used and I was pissed! When we left he tried to hold my hand which I promptly told him No!
I have not heard from him and I am thankful!

The moral of this dating story?  Everyone has an agenda. Be careful that they are not using you to fulfill theirs.  

No comments:

Post a Comment